Thursday 18 April 2013

How To: Take a Bath

Image taken from Apartment Therapy
It seems to me that the luxurious pleasure of taking a bath is slowly falling by the wayside. Everyone is too busy to take a half hour out of their day just to relax! Mind you, some people have other reasons - too girly or the idea of "sitting in their own filth isn't pleasant". I feel sad for those people because I love them! At the beginning of this year I did the 3-day Dr. Oz Detox Cleanse, which mandated a nightly bath and since then I've been kind of hooked. It helps me sleep better, it soothes my muscles and honestly, it puts me in a better mood. Here's how I create the perfect bath:

1. A Clean Tub. This is a bit of a no-brainer.. if you hate housework, it may have been awhile since the bathtub has had a good scrub. Make sure you do this first,  no one wants to sit in a tub that isn't clean.

2. Water Temperature. This can be a bit tricky.. too hot and it takes you an hour to get into the tub, but too cool and it's lukewarm by the time you're done. Fill the tub as hot as you can stand, it will cool down quicker than you think. It can be helpful to fill it up halfway, get in, and then finish filling - your body will adjust more gradually.

3. Bubbles, Salts, & Bombs. There are so many things you can buy or make to add to your bathwater. I'm usually pretty wiped out after a 12 hour shift at the hospital, so Epsom Salts are a must for me to soothe tired muscles. I also use a variety of aromatherapy products from Bath & Body Works. I couldn't find my favourite scent, Night Time Tea, on their website, but look for it if you're in the store - the smell is out of control amazing!

4. If You're Feeling Extra Fancy... I like to light a candle or two and turn most of the lights off to help me relax even more. A calm playlist like "Mellow Indie" from Songza will block out some of the external noise.

5. Moisturize. When you're relaxed through and through, drain the water and take your time standing up. The hot water will make your blood vessels dilate, which can lower your blood pressure and make you dizzy if you get up too fast (I speak from experience!). I prefer to rinse off very quickly with the shower just because some of the bath products can leave residues on your skin. After a bath is the best time to moisturize your skin. I like Jergens Vitamin E Replenishing Moisturizer, but use your favourite!

Now enjoy the wonderful feeling of being totally relaxed! Repeat as necessary! =)

And would you just look at these stunning bathtubs?! I definitely have some "tub envy" going on!

(L to R) Images taken from Tumblr, Style Estate, Besotted, Flickr, Casa Haus, Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment